Hey! What’s the Big Idea?
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Discovering Nonfiction Details pre-lesson.
Students will be able to identify the main idea of a nonfiction text.
- Tell students that today we will be looking at different nonfiction texts and identifying the main idea of each text.
- Explain that the main idea is what the text is mostly about.
- Explain that in order to determine the main idea of a text you have to look for clues throughout the reading process.
- Show students examples of simple nonfiction texts so they familiarize themselves with the genre.
- Define "nonfiction" and "clues" in student-friendly terms in English or in students' home language if applicable.