Homophones: Hold the Homophone!
Students will correctly use frequently confused homophones.
- Review homophones by watching a short video if necessary.
- Write to/too/two, their/they're/there, and ate/eight on the board. Have students take a few minutes to look at these sets of words and identify any patterns that they see.
- Tell students that they are going to be looking at words that sound the same but have different meanings.
- Advise students that these words are called homophones.
- If students are keeping a writing journal, this would be a good word to add to it with the examples from above.
- Have students create a class list of known homophones and their meanings.