How Plants Grow
Students will be able to identify what plants need to survive and grow their own plant.
- Show students a plant. Ask them where they think the plant came from.
- Review the steps of how a seed is planted.
- Show students the worksheet called Plant Life Cycle and review the proper steps.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(15 minutes)
- Read students the story The Tiny Seed. As you read, go through why some seeds didn't grow, examples of this include the weather being too cold, or there not being enough water provided.
- Now, discuss what elements plants need to survive.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(5 minutes)
- Give students a copy of Plant Survival. Have each student complete the worksheet.
- Walk around to make sure students are able to identify what plants need to stay alive.
Independent Working Time(15 minutes)
- Now, students will have the chance to grow their own plant.
- Give each student a pot, soil, seeds, and water. Explain to them that first they must put soil in the pot.
- Then, give each student three seeds to place in the dirt. Have them cover the seeds with soil.
- Ask students what the plant needs to grow.
- Have students water the plant and place it near a window.
- Enrichment: Have students draw the steps of how a plant grows on paper and explain it to you.
- Support: Pair students with a partner for the worksheet if they are in need of help.
- Have each student name three things a plant needs to survive.
Review and Closing(5 minutes)
- Ask students what their favorite part of today's lesson was.
- Have them predict how long it will take to start seeing the plant sprout.