How Pumpkins Grow
Students will be able to identify the steps in a pumpkin's life cycle including identifying what plants need to live.
- Play That's How A Pumpkin Grows.
- Ask the students if anyone has ever grown a pumpkin.
- Explain that today, they will learn how pumpkins grow!
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(10 minutes)
- Read Pumpkin Pumpkin aloud to your class.
- At the end of the story, review the steps the boy takes to grow a pumpkin.
- Have students identify what components plants need to live.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(10 minutes)
- Explain to the class that they will be growing their own pumpkin plant.
- Model the steps that students will need to follow independently.
- First, using a spoon, take 5 scoops of dirt and place them in a small cup.
- Then, count 3 pumpkin seeds. Have the students count them out with you. Place the seeds in the cup.
- Then, cover the seeds with more dirt.
- Give the plant some water and place it by the window.
Independent Working Time(10 minutes)
- Have the students repeat the steps you just modeled to plant their pumpkin plant.
- Walk around the room to make sure all students are on task.
- Enrichment: Have students help their peers in counting the correct number of pumpkin seeds.
- Support: Have students complete the Halloween Pumpkin coloring sheet instead of the How Do Pumpkins Grow? worksheet.
- To test knowledge of the life cycle of a pumpkin plant, have student's complete the How Do Pumpkins Grow? worksheet.
Review and Closing(5 minutes)
- Ask students to make predictions as to how long they think it will take their pumpkins to grow.
- Have them show you how big they think the plants will get.