Students will be able to count the insects in each bar on the graph. Students will be able to write the numeral of the insects on each bar. Students will be able to identify most, least, and equal on the bar graph.
- Before the lesson, put all of the insect cutouts on the table. Explain to your students that they will be used to create a graph, which is a visual that shows information.
- Hand out a premade graph to every student.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(10 minutes)
- Ask your students to find an insect on the table that matches one of the insect labels on their graphs.
- Instruct your students to place the picture of the insect on the correct bar of their graphs. Have them glue the insect on the bar and to continue matching the insects to those on their graphs.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(10 minutes)
- Encourage students to place as many insects on the graph as they can.
- Explain that not all the bars will have the same numbers, and talk about how one of the bars on the graph may have more or less insects than another, and some might be equal.
Independent Working Time(15 minutes)
- Have your students count the number of insects they have in each of the bars on the graph.
- Direct your students to write the corresponding numeral if they are able.
- Ask them to identify which bar on the graph has the most and least insects.
- Enrichment: Have numerals available for copying if necessary, and encourage your students to write their own numbers. Have additional graphs available if your students would like to create more than one.
- Support: Create a graph with only two to three bars. If a student is unable to write numbers, help him by doing this for him.
- Observe if your students are matching the correct insects with the correct bars on the graph.
- Observe your students counting the insects in each line, and note if they are counting accurately.
Review and Closing(5 minutes)
- Review each student's graph with him individually to check for understanding, asking questions about which number is more, less, or equal.