Interesting Animals: Penguins
Students will be able to share key ideas from a text in conversations and writing.
- Introduce the lesson by displaying the different images of Antarctica and penguins.
- Display the prewritten T-chart titled with "What We Think about Penguins" on one side and "What We Know About Penguins" on the other side.
- Ask the students to look carefully at the images and ask, "What do you think about penguins?"
- Have students participate in a peer conversation by turning and talking to a partner. Instruct them share an idea using the sentence stem, "I think penguins ________."
- Invite a few volunteers to share either their own or their partner's thought with the whole group. Record students' thinking on the “What We Think About Penguins” side of the T-chart.
- Explain that today you will be learning all about penguins and how to discuss facts about them!