Is It the Same?
Need extra help for EL students? Try the How Pictures Can Help Us Read pre-lesson.
Students will be able to use context clues to identify and define unknown words in a text.
- Show students two items that are opposites (such as a small ball and a large ball, or something tall and something short).
- Tell students that opposites are pairs of words that have different meaning, such as short/tall and big/little.
- Ask them to think of other opposites that they know and turn and talk with a classmate to share their thinking.
- Play a short game where you do an action (arms up, crouch low, etc.) and ask students to do the opposite action
- Share the definition for "opposite" in students' home language (L1).
- Provide additional visual representations of opposites.
- Preview or review any new or confusing vocabulary.
- Play a quick game where you show one item or visual of an opposite then ask students to help you identify the opposite visual or item.