It's Pattern Time
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Making Patterns pre-lesson.
Students will be able to identify what a pattern is and predict what should come next in patterns. Students will be able to create an AB pattern.
- Tell students they will be learning about patterns today. Tell students that a pattern is a design that repeats.
- Sing the pattern action song with the class:
Patterns happen all the time.
It's pattern, pattern, pattern time. (Clap three times)
It's something that happens over and over again. (Roll hands around each other)
- Sing the song first, only letting the class listen. Then encourage students to join in as you sing it again.
- Connect with students prior knowledge by displaying images of everyday patterns they are familiar with (e.g., trees, flowers, blocks, clothing designs, etc.).
- Provide the definition of a pattern in students' home language (L1).
- Introduce the song by modeling the hand motions and singing the words aloud.
- Have students echo each line after you sing it to become comfortable with the new vocabulary.