Jazzy Bio Poems
Students will be able to write a bio poem describing a famous jazz musician.
- Write the word "biography" on the board.
- Ask students if they recognize any Greek roots in the word.
- Circle the root word bio. Explain that bio means life.
- Circle the root word graph. Explain that graph means to write.
- Tell students the word biography means a written story about someone's life.
- Tell students that today they will read a couple of biographies about some famous jazz musicians.
- Ask students to share what they know about jazz music. What instruments are used in jazz? Where did jazz music become popular?
- If desired, play a couple of samples of jazz music for students to listen to.