Just One More Foot
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Adding One to a Group pre-lesson.
Students will be able to solve addition equations containing patterns of one more.
- Gather students together for a read aloud.
- Display the cover of the text and say, "Today we are going to practice our counting. When we count, we are going to look for patterns of one more. A pattern is something that repeats more than once."
- Ask students to think about patterns of one more that they might have seen in the world.
- Provide visual examples of patterns students might see in the world.
- Review counting from 1–10 in both English and students' home language (L1).
- Preview the read-aloud in order to frontload relevant information or background knowledge needed to access the text.
- Show examples of patterns in the world, then have students turn and talk to share what they notice with a partner.
- Practice counting in English from 1–10.