Students will be able to identify and label different types of leaves.
- Tell students that they are going to be identifying and labeling different types of leaves.
- Let the students know that they will be going on a leaf scavenger hunt.
- Ask the students if the can come up with some different types of leaves.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(15 minutes)
- Distribute and go over the Types of Leaves worksheet.
- Tell your students that as we go on our scavenger hunt, we are going to be collecting leaves and putting them into our bags.
- You may want them to bring out a pencil so they can mark off leaves as they find them.
- They will only need one leaf of each. Note: Rather than trying to find every type of leaf, they will only be trying to find as many as they can in 30 minutes.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(30 minutes)
- Have students go outside with their worksheet, pencil, and bag.
- Let students collect leaves.
Independent Working Time(20 minutes)
- Once students are back in the classroom, have them take out all their leaves.
- Next, have them glue down the leaves to a poster board.
- Finally, have them label all of their leaves.
- Enrichment: Have advanced students complete the Why do Leaves Change Color worksheet.
- Support: Help struggling students by guiding them and checking on their progress as they work.
- Have them each list at least six types of leaves on a sheet of paper.
- Collect and review their sheets to assess their understanding of the lesson content.
Review and Closing(10 minutes)
- Have students come back together as a whole group.
- Have them compare and contrast leaves.