Learn About the Body: Connective Tissues
Students will be able to identify the four different types of tissues and their functions.
- Tell your students that they will be learning about the four different types of tissues today.
- Ask your students if they know what the four different types of tissues are.
- Record the answers on the board.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(20 minutes)
- Go over the Tissues slideshow with your students.
- Explain each slide with examples.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(40 minutes)
- Ask your students to get into groups of four.
- Ask each group to come up with steps for a dance move. An example would be move four steps up, turn around, stretch your arms, jump high, and twist.
- Ask your students to write how the various tissues were used in their dance moves on a sheet of paper.
- Have each group perform the dance move they created and explain how the different types of tissues were used as they danced.
Independent Working Time(30 minutes)
- Ask your students to complete the Tissues worksheet.
- Enrichment: Ask advanced students to research a disease caused by tissue damage, as well as its symptoms and treatment. Have them write short research papers on it.
- Support: Using a poster size diagram of each tissue. go over the tissues with struggling students and explain the functions of each tissue.
- Ask your students to write down the names of the four tissues and list two facts about each tissue.
Review and Closing(15 minutes)
- Go over the Tissues worksheet with your students.
- Have each student answer at least one thing about each tissue.