Students will be able to count to 10 and match objects to the correct number.
- Roll a dice and see what number appears. Have that number of students stand up in front of the class.
- Ask those students if anyone can write that number on the chalkboard.
- Continue rolling the dice until each student has the chance to stand up.
- Tell the class that today they will be practicing counting!
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(10 minutes)
- Give each student a picture of an apple, a dice, and a small cup of apple seeds.
- Roll the dice and see what number appears. Place the correct amount of seeds in the apple. Explain to the students that they will now do the same.
- Walk around the room as the students begin doing this to make sure they are doing it correctly.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(10 minutes)
- Have students play the game Numbers 1 to 10 Photoshoot to reinforce number recognition skills.
Independent Working Time(10 minutes)
- Now, give students cupcake liners that have different numbers written in them. Instruct students to place the correct number of buttons in each liner.
- Check your students' work when they are done.
- Enrichment: For students succeeding with these tasks, have them focus on 1-15 when counting buttons.
- Support: Start struggling students out by focusing on fewer numbers, like 1-6 to mimic the numbers that appear on a die.
- Assessment should be based on correctness of apple seed and button counting.
Review and Closing(10 minutes)
- Read students the story Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3. Have them say the numbers they see throughout the story!