The Letter L: Let's Make Lemonade
Students will be able to identify and make the sound of the letter L.
- Place all ingredients on a table at the front of the room.
- Ask the class to guess what they think they will be doing.
- Give the students clues if they have trouble guessing. For example, We will be making a drink that begins with the letter L.
- Write the word "lemonade" and capital and lowercase Ls on the board.
- Show students the letter L. Point to the letters.
- Tell them the letter L sound. Elongate the sound as you say "lemonade."
- Have class repeat the sound and word.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Write the following recipe on the board. "2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1/4 cup of sugar, and 1/2 cup of water."
- Tell students that each group will add this amount of ingredients to their group's bowl.
- Demonstrate measuring each item and pouring it in a bowl. Be verbal during the modeling.
Guided Practice(20 minutes)
- Assign members of each group to stir and pour the lemon juice, sugar, and water in. Ensure every student has a role.
- Give groups ingredients.
- Control the activity by having only one thing happening in the groups at the same time. For example, first only let students measure and pour lemon juice and wait for your say so to add the sugar and water.
- Ask students to stir the mixture.
- Pour the contents of the bowls into a pitcher.
- Serve the lemonade to students to drink.
- Instruct students to remember the steps of the lemonade making process because it will be used to write a class story.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Give students the Color the Lemonade Stand coloring page to complete.
- Instruct students to color the letter "L" in the word "lemonade" a specific color to test their recognition skills.
- Enrichment: During the introduction, ask these students for other words that begin with the letter L. As they give other words, write them on the board.
- Support: Monitor these students as they add ingredients to see if they need any assistance.
- Ask students how they made the lemonade. Have the class go through the process step by step.
- Write student responses on the board to create a language experience story.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Read the language experience story with the class.
- Ask the class questions about the experience. For example: How did the lemonade taste? What letter does lemon and lemonade begin with?