Location Freeze Dance
Students will be able to explore location words using movement and music to guide them.
- Gather students together and ask the students if they know how to describe where something is in the room.
- Prompt students to show you where different objects are (e.g., What is above the red table? What is beside the yellow box? etc.).
- Explain that we call the words beside, next to, in front of, and behind location words. These words help us to describe where things are in the world.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Explain that today you will be practicing using location words while dancing.
- Tell the class that you will now play a version of freeze dance. Students will dance and freeze when the music stops. Then, listen for the next direction.
Guided Practice(5 minutes)
- Have students stand up and dance when you play the music, then pause the music and provide the following (or similar) directions between rounds of freeze dance: Dance beside a friend. Dance in front of a chair. Dance next to the rug. Dance behind a table.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Explain that students will now get to work with a partner as they play their own version of Location Freeze Dance.
- Pair students up and space each group around the room so that they are not right next to another pair.
- Ask students to choose one partner to be A and the other to be B.
- Point to the location words written on the board for reference and explain that you will be putting the music on and pausing it, for the first half partner A will be dancing and partner B will give directions. Then you will tell the partners to switch roles with B dancing and A giving directions.
Strategically pair up students to work with peers who will support them as they describe locations in the classroom. Remind students of the different location words each round by saying, “This time use the word “beside…”
Ask students to think of other kinds of directions they could give to their dancers (slow, fast, backwards, forwards).
- As students are working in pairs, assess whether they are able to follow the directions and are using the location words correctly.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Review the location words with the whole class and end by playing one last quick round of Location Freeze Dance as a group.