Magnetic Sight Words
Please add a student before creating an assignment
Go to Dashboard to add a studentDashboard
This new site feature allows users to choose from our hundreds of engaging learning games and exercises to create assignments for students. See below for details and simple instructions on how to use this exciting new feature.
How to Assign Games or Exercises
- You've selected a game or exercise to assign.
- From here, you have two options: Add the game or exercise to a new assignment, or add to an existing assignment.
- If you're creating a new assignment, give it a name. Adding a description or due date is optional. Click "Next".
- Select the child(ren) you want to send this assignment to, then click "Done". You will see a confirmation message once it has been successfully assigned.
How Children Can Access Their Assignments
- Your students can log in through your Pro membership log-in, or at learn.education.com by entering the Classroom Mode code.
- Once your child selects their profile, they will land on our main menu where they will see available assignments and due dates (if applicable).
- To complete the assignments, students click on the games or exercises listed on the assignment page, play, learn, and have fun!
- The main menu also allows students to see their progress in each individual game and exercise in the assignment.
Track Assignment ProgressAs your child completes each assignment, you'll be able to track their performance in the Assignments tab of our Progress Tracker. You'll also be able to make edits to assignments from here, like removing games or exercises, or changing the due date.
Students will be able to identify and spell different sight words.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Show students the sight word lists.
- Tell the students that today, they are going to review the words on the list and spell the words with magnets.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (15 minutes)
- Distribute the sight word lists.
- Pick up the baking pan and some magnet letters.
- Start at the top of any list and use the magnets to write the words on your baking pan.
- Have a volunteer read the words from your pan.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (15 minutes)
- Have students pair up. Give each pair a baking pan and some magnetic letters.
- Have the students recount what you did in your model. This will help you check for understanding.
- Assign the students an area to sit in to work.
Independent Working Time (30 minutes)
- Have students complete the activity.
- Walk around and monitor the students as they complete the activity.
- Students will be working with their partner to build and read the words.
- Students will be taking turns during this activity.
- Enrichment: Advanced students can be asked to use different sight words to make sentences.
- Support: Help struggling students with sounding out the words on their lists.
Assessment (15 minutes)
- Work with each student and individually assess them based on how they represented each word.
- Students who complete one list can be given another.
- If time is limited, assess pairs instead of individual students.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Have the students pick a word they had a hard time reading and write it down.