Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
I Have a Dream: Martin Luther King Jr.
Students will be able to identify the importance of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Display or draw a KWL chart labeled "Martin Luther King Jr." on the board.
- Ask students if they know who Martin Luther King Jr is.
- Give students time to tell you what they know.
- Add their contributions to the KWL chart.
- Ask students what they would like to learn about him and add their responses to the chart.
- Explain to your students that you are going to read a story and do an activity to help them learn more about Martin Luther King Jr.
Explicit instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Read the story Martin's Big Words to the students. Stop to answer questions or to listen to statements your students may have as you read the book.
- If there are questions you do not know the answers to, write them down and have the answer ready for the next day.
Guided practice/Interactive modeling(10 minutes)
- Take out your completed Celebrate Martin Luther King Jr worksheet and share it with the students.
- Talk to them about your dream or wish and explain why you picked it.
- Let your students know that they will be doing the same thing on their own worksheet.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Hand out the Celebrate Martin Luther King worksheets to the students and allow them to write down their dream or wish for the world.
- Walk around and assist where needed.
- Enrichment: Allow students to write down information they have learned about Martin Luther King Jr. in their writing journal.
- Support: Work one on one with the students to help them better understand the importance of Martin Luther King Jr. in our country's history, and to help them come up with their own dream.
- Ask students a question about Martin Luther King Jr. and allow the students to talk to their partner to come up with the answer. Pick on random pairs to answer the question. Making it random requires all the students to be working because they do not know who you will call on to answer.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Have students share with the class what dreams or wishes they put on their tag.