Need extra help for EL students? Try the Reading Picture Clues pre-lesson.
Students will be able to use pictures and context clues to figure out unknown words.
- Ask, “Have you ever come across a word that’s tricky to read?”
- Have a few students share their experiences. Then ask, “What do you do to help you read words you don’t understand?”
- Review the definition of the word "tricky" in English and student's home language (L1).
- Have students share both words that have been tricky to read and words they have encountered in spoken language.
- Ask students to work with a partner to share tricky words.
- Give an example of what you do to understand tricky words (for example, go back and reread) to model how to respond.