Students will be able to complete two digit addition problems.
- Begin the lesson by introducing two digit addition.
- Show your students the Shake it Off-2 Digit Addition video.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(10 minutes)
- Take a piece of chart paper, and write the step by step directions for how to complete a double digit addition problem.
- Write out some practice problems on the board. For example, 32 + 13, 37 + 22, and 62 + 15.
- Complete the problems with the students.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(10 minutes)
- Hand out the Name That Hero worksheet.
- Work with the students to answer the first two questions, working through them step by step.
Independent Working Time(15 minutes)
- After you work through the first 2 problems with the students, have them complete the rest on their own.
- Give the students time to complete the worksheet.
- Enrichment: Give your students more difficult math questions, even giving a three digit number to add to a two digit number.
- Support: Give your students manipulatives, such as blocks, to complete two digit addition problems.
- Give students a short 5 question quiz with numbers that are tricky for them. For example, 29 + 37, 19 + 63, and 49 + 12.
- Review the steps to get the answers.
Review and Closing(5 minutes)
- Show the addition video again.