Mighty Mean, Median, and Mode
Students will find the mean, median, and mode from lists of numbers.
- Explain to students that for the math lesson today they will be learning statistics, specifically mean, median and mode.
- Play Mean, Median, Mode, and Range.
- Arrange the class in pairs and assign them an internet-ready device.
- Hand out the Math Vocabulary worksheets to each student.
- Instruct students to go to www.wordcentral.com and look up the words on the Math Vocabulary worksheet and write the definitions for each word.
- Write a set of 5 numbers on the board and model how to find the mean, median, and mode of the set.
- Ask for student volunteers to read the definitions of each word as you write them on the overhead copy or projector.
- Lead a discussion with students about how these statistics, mean, median and mode, are used in real life. Bring up scoring in sports and data collection if your students do not.