Mighty Mean, Median, and Mode
Students will find the mean, median, and mode from lists of numbers.
- Explain to students that for the math lesson today they will be learning statistics, specifically mean, median and mode.
- Play Mean, Median, Mode, and Range.
- Arrange the class in pairs and assign them an internet-ready device.
- Hand out the Math Vocabulary worksheets to each student.
- Instruct students to go to www.wordcentral.com and look up the words on the Math Vocabulary worksheet and write the definitions for each word.
- Write a set of 5 numbers on the board and model how to find the mean, median, and mode of the set.
- Ask for student volunteers to read the definitions of each word as you write them on the overhead copy or projector.
- Lead a discussion with students about how these statistics, mean, median and mode, are used in real life. Bring up scoring in sports and data collection if your students do not.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Hand out the Mighty Mean, Median and Mode worksheet to each student.
- Display the Mighty Mean, Median and Mode worksheet for the class to see.
- Walk through and model how to find the mean, median, and mode for the statistics on the attachment.
- Allow a few minutes for students to ask questions if clarification is needed.
Guided Practice(20 minutes)
- Arrange students into pairs and hand out the Mean, Median and Mode #1 worksheet and the Mean, Median and Mode Practice worksheets.
- Ask students to work in pairs to complete the attachments and encourage them to reference their Math Vocabulary and Mighty Mean, Median and Mode worksheets.
- Walk the room to monitor and help as needed.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Have students complete the Mean, Median and Mode #2 worksheet independently.
- Walk the classroom to check for understanding and to help as needed.
Enrichment: Challenge students to collect data on their own and create a worksheet similar to the Might Mean, Median and Mode attachment.
- Support: Pair students who need support with students at grade level or above grade level.
- Check the Mean, Median and Mode #2 worksheet for correctness to assess student understanding.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Play The Mean, Median and Mode Toads.
- Ask students if they have any final questions on today's lesson.