Mix and Match: What Color is That?
Students will be able to match objects to the correct color categories.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Look around the room, and point to various solid colored objects.
- Explain to your class that they will put common objects into color categories.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (5 minutes)
- Call out a color, and have your students look around and find an object that is that particular color.
- Have your students pick three items in the room that are the same color.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Put your students into groups of 3-4.
- Give out the color cards, and have your students match the objects to the color name.
- Read the color words aloud for your students before having them begin the activity.
- Direct your students to complete the activity.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Give your students the Color Red and Book of Red worksheets.
- Have your students complete it and make their own categories of different colors on the back of the sheet.
- Enrichment: Have your students try to sound out the words from the color cards and then place them in the correct color group.
- Support: Work on a more limited number of color categories before giving your students all of the color cards.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- During independent working time, walk around, making sure that your students are completing worksheets accurately.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Have your students share their color categories from the backs of their worksheets.