Mr. Alligator Can't Catch Me!
Students will be able to represent subtraction by manipulating up to 5 objects.
- Tell your students that today they will be practicing subtraction, or taking away.
- Show students 5 Little Monkeys.
- Encourage students to sing along and use their fingers to practice along with the video.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(5 minutes)
- Gather students in your group area and demonstrate the concept of taking away with counting manipulatives, such as 5 brown blocks and a bigger green block.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(10 minutes)
- Assign one student to be the alligator and five students to be the monkeys.
- Write the corresponding subtraction problem on the board to demonstrate how to represent taking away.
Independent Working Time(5 minutes)
- Have students work on the 5 Little Monkeys worksheet independently.
- Enrichment: Challenge your students to use numbers higher than 5 to practice subtraction.
- Support: Give your students manipulatives to practice subtraction. Have them count out the manipulatives one by one, using them as they complete the worksheet.
- Tell your students that they will have to "clean the room". Have them complete the Clean the Room worksheet.
Review and Closing(10 minutes)
- Watch the video again while practicing subtraction with small snacks such as fish crackers or fruit snacks.
- Discuss as a class how eating the snacks is similar to practicing subtraction.