Multiplication of Mixed Numbers with Area Models
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Area Models and Mixed Numbers pre-lesson.
Students will be able to use an area model to solve multiplication problems with mixed numbers.
- Review area models with whole numbers by showing students an example (see related media).
- Explain, "Today we are going to use area models to multiply a mixed number times a whole number."
- Remind students that a mixed number is a number that has a whole number and a fraction, like 5½.
- Allow students to use their home language (L1) or new language (L2) in their discussions.
- Provide definitions in their L1 or L2 for the following words: "area model," "mixed number," "whole number," "multiply," "fraction," "area," etc.
- Write the academic language they can use throughout the lesson on the board as you introduce the language.
- Have a student restate the objective for today's lesson.