Need extra help for EL students? Try the Decimal Product Reasonableness pre-lesson.
Students will be able to multiply decimals using the standard algorithm.
- Review the standard algorithm for multiplication with two-digit whole numbers (i.e., 16 x 74).
- Tell students, "Today we are going to learn how to multiply decimals."
- Ask students to retell the steps needed to complete the standard algorithm with multi-digit multiplication.
- Allow students to use their home language (L1) or new language (L2) in their discussions throughout the lesson.
- Write an anchor chart of the steps for the standard algorithm for students to reference and refer to in their conversations throughout the lesson.
- Write the academic language they can use throughout the lesson on the board as you introduce the language.
- Ask students to contrast the standard algorithm with a different strategy (e.g., area model).