Multiplying One-Digit Numbers By 10
Students will be able to multiply one-digit whole numbers by multiples of 10.
- Explain to the class how it is good to know how to solve tricky math problems in your head instead of always having to write them down or use a calculator.
- Tell them that today they are going to learn the trick to multiply whole numbers by multiples of 10.
- Ask your students to solve the problem 10x5.
- Once students have solved the problem, ask them if they could solve 50x5 as quickly.
- Tell students that they will need to know how to solve these bigger equations someday.
- Give your students a real life example. For example, when planning a big party you might need 50 tables of 5 people each.
- Tell students that this skill will help them solve each of these problems quickly in their head.