Music and Movement with the -IT Family
Students will be able to add and substitute letters to make words in the -it word family.
- Gather your students where they can easily see your interactive whiteboard.
- Play The It Family video by HeidiSongs and invite your students to stand and move to the music.
- Ask your students to name some of the words they noticed in the song.
- Tell students, "Today, we will be learning how to make and read words that belong in the -it family by adding and substituting the first letter."
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Ask your students to recall what it means to blend sounds together.
- Write the word "it" in large letters on the board.
- Tell your students to read the word three times as you point at it.
- Now write the letter "b" in front of the word "it" to make "bit." Point at the "b" and make the sound with your students. Point at the "it" and say it with your students. Do this three times, each time blending a little faster.
- Repeat this process with the following words: fit, hit, kit, lit, pit and sit.
- Play the -IT Family video. Encourage your students to blend the sounds as they appear on the screen.
Guided Practice(20 minutes)
- Invite your students to sing one or two verses of "The Wheels on the Bus."
- Tell your students that they will sing a new song to the same melody.
- Display the -IT Family song lyrics on the whiteboard.
- Ask your students to look for words that belong in the -it family.
- Read through the song and model the motions described by the words.
- Invite your students to stand up and sing the song with you.
- Instruct your students to make a circle to begin the Who Will Color the Most Words? game. Follow the instructions on the corresponding sheet for this portion.
Independent working time(5 minutes)
- Hand out the Meet the -IT Family worksheet.
- Explain the directions.
- Ask the students to raise their hands if they understand what to do.
- Circulate and assist students as needed.
- Enrichment: Have advanced students work on The "-IT Family" worksheets between activities.
- Support: Students who need additional instruction should be pulled into a small group for re-teaching and additional practice during Independent Working Time.
- During Guided Practice, look for students who are following directions and participating.
- Observe the students as they play the game. Look for students who are on-task. Your students should be able to fill in the correct letter to match the illustrations.
- Your students should be able to read the words on the cards and trace the corresponding words on the game sheet.
- During Independent practice, check if students are able to identify and substitute the first letter to make the correct word.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Invite your students to sing the -IT Family song again.
- Ask your students to name some of the words they traced in the game.
- Ask your students to suggest other ways to play games with words.