Students will be able to complete multi-digit division problems.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Tell students that today they will be learning how to solve multi-digit division problems.
- Review long division with students.
- Complete a few review problems on the board where students can observe your steps and recall any strategies you have taught them up until this point.
- If possible, have students use mini whiteboards to solve warm up problems independently.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Pass out the Solve the Division Riddle worksheet.
- Complete the first and second problems by displaying them on the document camera or whiteboard.
- Allow students time to complete the first five problems on the sheet.
- Answer any questions students may have about this review.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Hand out the Division Duplication worksheet.
- Model problems on the board as needed.
- Take time to focus on the steps of long division. Do not rush through the steps.
Independent Working Time (20 minutes)
- Allow students to work independently on the worksheets.
- When finished, they can move onto the Zoey Chase is on the Case worksheet.
- Enrichment: Advanced students could be given the Division Word Problems worksheet to complete.
- Support: Pull aside struggling students for extra assistance.
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Bring students together into a group.
- Review worksheets students have completed.
- Answer any questions students may still have about the lesson.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Ask students to think of real world applications for the kind of math problems they encountered today.
- Have students share their ideas with the class.
- Take any final questions your students have about the lesson.