Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
No standards associated with this content.
Which set of standards are you looking for?
Students will be able to spell and define words that start with the letter A.
- Ask students to turn to a partner to share words that start with the letter A.
- Have students come back to the group and share the words they brainstormed.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Tell students that they are going to create a dictionary for A words. Explain that a dictionary lists words and their definitions, or meanings.
- Model how to create a dictionary entry for the word "apple." Define apple as a sweet fruit that grows on trees. Draw a picture of the apple.
Guided Practice(5 minutes)
- Tell students that they can design dictionary pages however they like as long as they include the word, definition, and a picture.
- Ask for a student to come up and share how you could redesign the page you made for "apple," using the board to draft the new page.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Hand out five pieces of paper to each student. Tell them that they should create a dictionary page for five different A words.
- If students finish early, have them partner with another student to share their dictionary pages.
Support: Have students create dictionary pages for two A words.
Enrichment: Challenge students to create dictionary pages for 10 A words.
- Assess how students are spelling and defining A words.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Call on students to share their dictionary pages. Write the words students defined on a master list on the board.