Students will be able to identify and correctly use nouns.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Tell students that a safari is a journey for exploration.
- Show a few pictures of different animals found on an African safari.
- Tell the kids they are going to go on a safari, and they have to be quiet so they don't scare the animals.
- Give each student a sheet of lined paper, and have him draw a T-chart on it. One column should be labeled "Nouns," and the other column should be labeled "Not Nouns." This paper be his record sheet.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Tell the students they are going to review their noun knowledge today. Remind them that a noun is a word that describes a person, animal, place, thing, or idea.
- Have them pretend that the sticky notes are the animals.
- Let students know that for today, they can only tip-toe around the room. They will be sneaking around to find sticky notes with nouns on them.
- Model how to sneak up on a sticky note. Once you find the note, read it aloud and ask the class whether it is a noun.
- Ask them which column it would go in on the record sheet. Remind them not to touch the sticky notes, since they wouldn't touch wild animals.
- Model the process again, but this time, find a sticky note that is not a noun. Tell students this word belongs in the Not Noun column of the record sheet.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (20 minutes)
- As students find the nouns and classify them, walk around and give hints if necessary.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Tell students to finish up their safari and sit back at their desks.
- Have them use the backs of their papers to write a sentence for each of their nouns.
- Observe students as they work to ensure that their nouns are correctly classified.
- Enrichment: Ask advanced students to give examples of proper nouns that are more specific than the nouns found on the sticky notes. For example, if a sticky note says "cookie," they should write something like "Oreo cookie" instead.
- Support: These students may need help classifying the nouns. Give them hints as they work, and pair them up with more advanced students if needed.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Look at students' record sheets to assess their understanding of nouns.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- When all students are finished, draw the Noun/Not a Noun T-chart on the board.
- Call on students one at a time to go find a sticky note and put it on the board in the correct column.
- As each student goes up, the others should check their work at their desks.