Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Place Value Party
Students will be able to distinguish between the tens and ones place value. Students will be able to use tens and ones blocks to make numbers.
- Call students together as a group.
- Inform the students that they will be learning about place value, or a number's position.
- Inform students that each number represents a hundreds, tens, or ones place.
- To motivate and activate the students, play the Place Value Song.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Show Place Value First Grade.
- After the video is completed, show the students a tens block and ask them what it is.
- Show students a ones block and ask them what it is.
- Draw a tens and a ones house on the board.
- Write the numbers 15, 10, 22, and 8.
- Select one student at at time to come up to the board and count out each number using the tens and ones blocks.
- Then, ask the student to write the number in the tens and ones house correctly. For example, the first student should have 1 tens block and 5 ones blocks. The number 1 should be in the tens house, while the 5 should be in the ones house.
Guided Practice(10 minutes)
- Arrange the desk into four stations.
- Use the Station Setup Template to help you.
- Number and label each area.
- Divide the class evenly into four groups and seat each group at a station.
- At each station, place four sheets of paper with the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4.
- At each station, place various amounts of tens and ones blocks on each paper.
- Give each student a Guided Practice Student Sheet and a pencil.
- Have the students count the tens or ones blocks at their stations and record the amounts on their Guided Practice Student Sheet.
- Direct your students to rotate and visit all four stations.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Give each student the Place Value: Tens and Ones worksheet.
- Read the instructions to the students and direct them to complete it.
- Collect for grading.
- Give the students the Addition With Tens Sticks worksheet. These word problems will give them more of a challenge.
- Give the students the Lacy's Place Value as their independent worksheet.
- Grade the worksheet completed during independent working time.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Play the Place Value Song again.