Students will be able to identify different shapes based on their attributes of sides and angles.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Gather your students in a group, and read a book about shapes.
- Tell your students that they will be looking at the number of sides and angles in each shape.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (15 minutes)
- Before you start the lesson, make a few sets of different shapes using the construction paper, and laminate them to make them last longer.
- Show your students each shape, and tell them the name of that shape and point to the number of sides and angles in each shape.
- After you have gone through the whole set, pick one shape at a time, and ask your students to name it.
- Quiz them to name the shape as you tell them the number of sides or angles in the shape.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Split your students into pairs or smaller groups, and give each group a set of shapes.
- Have them take turns to pick a shape while the other person names the shape.
- Encourage your students to count the sides and angles in each shape.
- Show them how to quiz the others in their group by using the number of sides or angles without holding up the shape.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Using the Learn the Shapes worksheet, have the students match the shape cutouts to the pictures on the worksheet and write the number of sides or angles.
- Provide each student with this worksheet, and direct them to cut out the shapes and practice counting the sides.
- Enrichment: Have your students draw their own shapes and write the number of sides and angles for each.
- Support: Encourage your students to cut the shapes out of the worksheet and practice counting the sides with a partner.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Ask questions to see how well the students have followed and understood the concept of sides and angles for each shape.
- Check their work to see if they have done it correctly.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Review the different shapes, and ask your students to identify the number of sides and angles in each shape.