Take a Walk: Reading Comprehension
Students will develop oral language and listening skills. Students will be able to identify the setting of a story.
- Start the lesson by reviewing concepts of print materials, such as the front and back of a book.
- Show your students the book Jonathan and His Mommy, and point out the front and back of the book.
- Read the story to the students.
- After each page, ask the students to demonstrate how the characters in the story are walking.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(10 minutes)
- Talk about the book with your students. Potential discussion questions include: Who are the characters in the story? Where did the story take place? What did Jonathan and his mommy do in the story? What kind of steps did they take? Why did they go walking? What kind of things did they see? Which is your favorite walk?
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(5 minutes)
- Instruct your students to stand up and demonstrate different types of walks.
- Model how to walk at a non-disruptive pace in the classroom.
Independent Working Time(15 minutes)
- Have your students draw three big blocks on their papers.
- Instruct your students to draw the setting of the book in the first block.
- In the second block, ask your students to draw one thing the characters saw on the walk.
- Direct your students to draw where they would like to walk in the third block.
- Enrichment: Encourage your students to write words or sentences with their drawings. Have them come up with their own way to walk and draw that on their papers as well.
- Support: Read the story another time to your students and have them point out the settings and characters. Point to the illustrations in the book, explaining that the pictures show scenes and settings.
- Walk around the room, checking as your students draw. Make sure that your students are accurately representing the characters and setting of the book.
Review and Closing(5 minutes)
- Have your students walk their favorite way around the class.
- Ask them to identify the settings and characters in the book.