Reading Puzzling Words
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Constructing Words pre-lesson.
Students will be able to identify and read the parts of a compound word.
- Ask students if they know what a puzzle is and allow for a few students to share ideas.
- Explain that a puzzle usually means something with more than one piece that fit together to make something new.
- Demonstrate this concept by showing students pieces from a classroom puzzle and how they make something new when pieces are put together.
- Tell students that some words are like puzzles, and that you can take them apart or put different words together to make new words. These are called compound words.
- Provide student friendly definitions in home language (L1) as well as English.
- Display pieces from a puzzle and a finished puzzle as a visual at the beginning of the lesson.
- Point to these visuals as you ask students about puzzles.