Recognizing Upper and Lowercase Letters
Students will be able to recognize and distinguish between uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Gather the students together.
- Invite your students to sing the ABC song with you. Play the The Alphabet Song on the interactive whiteboard.
- Sing along with the music. Encourage your students to "air write" the letters.
- Tell your students that they will be looking for uppercase and lowercase letters today.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(10 minutes)
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(20 minutes)
- Take your students to a computer lab or supply them with individual laptops. It is fine for two or three students to share a computer while playing the games.
- Help your students find the games online.
- After ten minutes of playing Lowercase Letters Cloud Catcher, instruct your students to switch to Alphabet Hopper.
Independent Working Time(10 minutes)
- Bring your students back to the interactive whiteboard.
- Display one of the ABC mazes.
- Tell your students that they will be coloring the letters that follow the alphabetical path out of the maze.
- When they reach a dead end, they can draw an x to show where the wrong path ended.
- This should be done with colored pencils or highlighters so that the letters will show through the coloring.
- Model how to carefully color the letters on the maze.
- Demonstrate how to go back and retry if you hit a dead end.
- Tell your students that there are two versions of the maze.
- They may pick the one they want to work on.
- Ask your students if they have questions about the task.
- Dismiss your students to begin their work.
- Enrichment: Above level students may enjoy creating their own ABC maze with this Maze Generator.
- Support: Some students may need to use an alphabet chart as a visual guide.
- Observe your students as they play the computer games.
- They should remain on task and progressively increase in skill as they play.
- Observe your students as they work on the maze.
- Look for students who are following directions and finding the path easily.
- Check all work to make sure every student finished correctly.
Review and Closing(5 minutes)
- Invite your students to show their mazes to each other.
- Display the mazes on the interactive whiteboard.
- Invite the students to make corrections if they need to.
- Ask your students what they liked about the lesson.
- Ask your students to think of other ways to practice recognizing letters.