Righteous Rounding: Rounding Decimals
Students will round decimals up to a given place value.
- Before the lesson starts, have 10 numbers written on the board with a decimal place value of up to the thousandths place on 4 or 5 of the numbers.
- Tell students that they will be learning how to round decimals up to the nearest hundredth place value.
- Play Rounding Rap to review how to round numbers.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Display the How to Round Decimals attachment for the class to see.
- Hand out a copy of How to Round Decimals to each student.
- Read aloud the first page of the attachment to the class as they follow along.
- Model how to round the numbers and decimals on the second page of the attachment as the students follow along and write as you model.
Guided Practice(15 minutes)
- Refer the students' attention to the 10 numbers you have previously written on the board.
- Ask for students to volunteer to come to the board and round each number to the place value you give them. Give a variety of place values to round to.
- In an easily accessible area in the room, place several copies of each of the Barber Shop Round Off #1, #3 and #5 worksheets.
- Arrange the students into pairs and have one of the pair pick up 2 different Barber Shop Round Off worksheets for the pair to work on together.
- Remind the pairs to write both of their names on each worksheet so they both get credit.
Independent working time(5 minutes)
- For independent work time, instruct the students to pick up the Barber Shop Round Off worksheet they did not complete as a pair to work on independently.
- Enrichment: Have advanced students complete the Barber Shop Round Off #2 and #4 during independent work time.
- Support: Pair students who need support with a student who understands the concept during the guided practice.
- Use the graded independent work time worksheet as an informal assessment.
Review and closing(15 minutes)
- As a fun review, have the students play The Rounding Race game. You can have pairs of students help create the game or have the game prepared ahead of time.