Short Vowel Round-Up
Students will learn to distinguish between short and long vowel sounds.
- Gather students together and announce that it's "Bingo Game Day" for short vowels.
- Ask if anyone has noticed any short vowels "hanging around" today.
- Point to the Short Vowel Picture Cards hanging on the board and say each sound, then the picture name (for example, O...Octopus).
- Announce that these cards will help us decide if words match one of sounds. If the word matches one of the short vowel sounds, that word will be a "Bingo Word of the Day."
- Play the Bingo Word of the Day game using the word list from the Short Vowel Bingo game.
- Choose five of the Word List words and ask students to listen as you read each word.
- Ask them to say "bingo" if they think the word is a short vowel word.
- Tally each correct response on the board under the title "Bingo Words."
- Announce the Bingo Word of the Day score.
- Correct any words missed and use the Short Vowel picture cards as a checklist for errors.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Choose at least 5 short and 5 long vowel words from the list, and write them on the board.
- Write a breve (˘) above the short vowel in one of the words. Explain that this is how we code the short vowel sound.
- Ask students to look for the Short Vowel Picture Card that matches this sound. Point to it and have students echo-read the vowel and picture word.
- Write a macron (¯) above the long vowel in one of the words. Explain that this is the mark used for long vowels.
- Read the words on the board out of order.
- After each word is spoken, ask students to decide if the word is short or long. They'll indicate their choices by drawing a breve in the air when a short vowel word is heard and a macron in the air when a long vowel word is heard.
Guided Practice(15 minutes)
- Read the directions for the Short Vowel Bingo game, then distribute the materials required to play it.
- As you read each word, monitor students' reactions to gauge their degrees of comprehension.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Distribute the Short Vowels quiz.
- Erase the 10 words from the board.
- Have students complete the quiz independently.
- Enrichment: Challenge advanced students to add more short vowel bingo words to the list. They can also add breve and macron marks to each word on the quiz.
- Support: Make extra copies of the Short Vowel picture cards for struggling students to use as a guide.
- Gather students and repeat the Bingo Words of the Day activity from the Introduction (any five words will do).
- Tally each correct response, then announce the score.
- As a class, compare the before and after Bingo Word of the Day scores. Use this time to assess whether students have improved their understanding of the lesson content.
- Collect students' completed quizzes. Review them later for further assessment.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- As a class, read the Short Vowel picture cards aloud.
- Ask each student to share with a partner one new short vowel word he's learned today.