Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Show Me: Nouns and Verbs
Students will be able to identify and correctly use nouns and verbs.
- Tell your students they'll be making a poster about nouns and verbs. They will be cutting out pictures from old magazines to use for graphics on their poster.
- Explain that they'll be cutting out pictures of nouns and verbs from the magazines. Then, they'll write a sentence to go with every picture, circling the nouns and underlining the verbs.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Model your expectations for the students.
- Take a magazine and find a picture that would illustrate a noun. Remind your class that a noun is a person, place or thing.
- Explain why you selected the picture, cut it out, and paste it onto a sheet of construction paper.
- Write a sentence with a marker under the picture. Underline the verb and circle the noun.
- Repeat with a picture of an activity that would qualify as a verb. Define a verb as an action word.
- Verbalize what you are doing and why.
- Ask if your class has any questions and check for understanding.
Guided Practice(15 minutes)
- Distribute a magazine, pair of scissors, glue stick, and sheet of construction paper to each student.
- Tell the class that you want them to find one picture, cut it out, and paste it onto their construction paper.
- Instruct everyone to write their sentences, then stop.
- When the majority of students seem to be done, ask for student volunteers to come up with their work.
- Have your volunteers explain why they chose the pictures and read their sentences.
- As a group, identify the nouns and verbs in the sentences.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Have students complete their posters independently.
- Walk around and check for understanding as they work.
- Collect the posters when they are completed for review.
- Require advanced students to write several complex sentences about their pictures instead of one sentence.
- Students who are struggling should work with a partner to create their poster. Review the definitions of nouns and verbs with each student, providing examples.
- Use student posters to assess mastery of the lesson concepts.
- Provide feedback for students on the back of their posters.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Hand back the posters so students can read their feedback.
- Collect the posters once again and put them up around the room.
- Let students walk around and look at other students work to further increase their knowledge of grammar mechanics.