Signs and Symbols Scavenger Hunt
Students will be able to identify and describe the meanings of different common signs.
- Ask the students if they know what a sign or symbol is, by asking, "What do you think of when I say sign?" See if they can give you some examples.
- Let the students know that they will be identifying signs and symbols in their community.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(20 minutes)
- Show one image of a sign at a time and see if the children have ever seen that symbol before.
- Ask them to identify each symbol's name and what it means.
- You may need to guide them through this conversation if the students are not putting forth answers and get stuck.
Guided Practice(30 minutes)
- Either take your class for a walk, or set-up a sign scavenger hunt in your classroom (e.g. hang signs around the room).
- Have students begin a the scavenger hunt. They'll try to see if they can find all eight signs/symbols.
- Once a student identifies a sign, have them place a check mark in the red box off to the left of the picture. Encourage students to write down the name of the sign on the first line. For example: School Crossing.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Have students practice writing the signs/symbols on back of their worksheet independently.
- Ask students to share what each sign means with a partner. For example, the school crossing sign shows where kids and adults can safely cross the street to go to school.
- Enrichment: Have advanced students create some signs or symbols for the rest of the class to find.
- Support: Pair each struggling student up with a student who has a stronger grasp on the lesson content.
- Have students turn in their Signs and Symbol Scavenger Hunt worksheets.
- Check to see if every student correctly identifies each sign and understands what each of them mean.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- As a whole group, go through the signs again. You could call on a student to identify a sign/symbol and have them tell you in his words what it means.
- Ask the students why it is important to know what signs and symbols mean when you see them in the community.