Sillier or Silliest? A Suffix Study
Students will be able to form comparative and superlative adjectives using the suffixes -er and -est.
- On the board, draw a picture of three people ranging in height from short to tall.
- Label the three people with the words "tall, taller, tallest."
- Ask students to identify the suffixes in the words you wrote on the board (-er and -est).
- Underline the suffixes -er and -est in the words "taller" and "tallest."
- Remind students that suffixes, like these, are groups of letters that are added to the ends of words to change their meaning.
- Tell students that today they will learn about the suffixes -er and -est.