Southeast and Gulf State Weather
Students will be able to explain how hurricanes are formed and the effects of hurricanes based on their understanding of scientific information found from an online source.
- Have students come together near the map of the United States.
- Tell students that they will be learning about the Southeast and Gulf State region.
- Ask students to look at the map of the United States and predict which states are in the Gulf State region.
- After students have made their guesses, reveal that the Southeast and Gulf States are Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, and South Carolina. Point out these states on the map.
- Ask students if they have ever heard of any weather problems in these states.
- Direct the conversation toward hurricanes.
- At this point, tell the students that they will be learning more about hurricanes and the devastating effects that hurricanes have had on this region.