Students will be able to choose the correct spelling between homophones based on the context of the sentence.
- Display one of the pictures from the What is a Homophone? website, or another website of your choice.
- Help determine students' understanding of homophones by asking the following questions: What is the cartoonist telling you with these two pictures? What do the underlined words have in common?
- Tell students that today they will focus on spelling homophones correctly by using the context of a sentence. They can also check their answers in an online dictionary.
- Ask a student to read the student objective.
- Choose another student to define context clues as clues within a sentence that tell the meaning of words and homophones as words that sound the same but have different spellings and meanings.
- Correct the student's definition before continuing to the next section, if necessary.