St. Patrick's Day Blarney
Students will be able to determine meaning and develop contextual awareness for unfamiliar words.
- Write the word "football" on a poster chart visible to your entire class.
- Invite students to turn and tell a neightbor what "football" means and where it comes from, in two sentences or less.
- Draw a T-chart below the word "football" and label one column definition and the other column origin.
- Call your students' attention to the T-chart and explain:
- the column labeled definition means "word meaning".
- the column labeled origin means "where something comes from".
- Solicit and list several details for each column about "football" from your students.
- Tell your class they will learn to define words and phrases in a similar way, using an Irish tale in celebration of St. Patrick's Day!