Sticky Reading Comprehension
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Stop and Jot! pre-lesson.
Students will be able to retell key details from a story.
- Choose the reading material to utilize, such as a book you have read with the class recently.
- Pass out a stack of sticky notes to the students.
- Explain to the students that reading comprehension is the ability to understand and recall what was read.
- Show students an example of a doodle, or sketch. Explain to them that it only takes a few seconds to compose a doodle.
- Explain to your students that for each page of the text that they read, they will compose little doodles on a sticky note that will remain stuck to that page.
- Have students stand and chant, "Comprehension, I understand what I read."
- Have students explain what comprehension means in their own words to a partner.