Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Students will be able to understand how people lived in the Stone Age.
- Show the class a little bit of The Croods film or another movie based in prehistoric times.
- Ask your students questions about what they see, such as the setting. Potential guiding questions include: What are people doing? How are they gathering food?
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Explain to your students that during the Stone Age, people lived in caves, and they followed and hunted animals to eat and use skin for clothing. Tell them that they discovered fire during this time period, painted the walls of their caves, and used different types of handmade tools and weapons.
- Have your students repeat these facts to each other to solidify their memory.
Guided Practice(25 minutes)
- In this part of the lesson, your students will pretend that they are cavemen.
- Putting many tables together, cover the tops and bottoms of the tables in paper.
- Instruct your students to use their fingers to paint laying on the floor, painting on the "walls" of the "cave."
- Encourage your students to draw pictures of scenes they saw in the movie. Have them imagine what it might be like to live during the Stone Age.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Give your students different colors to use, and encourage them to draw on paper all the things they have learned. Instruct them to write words and facts as well.
- Through a mind map, have them draw lines from their drawings and pieces of information indicating connections between ideas.
- Enrichment: Instruct your students to write a letter to a caveman showing him the difference between the way he lives and how people live now.
- Support: Encourage your students to just draw pictures rather than write facts or words on their mind maps.
- Play a game of true or false with your students with the facts you discussed today.
- Offer the following statements: In the Stone Age people lived in huts. (F) In the Stone Age people discovered fire. (T) In the Stone Age people went shopping for food. (F) In the Stone Age people were nomads, going from one place to another to follow animals. (T) In the Stone Age people hunted to eat and use the animal skin. (T)
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Ask your students to present their work to the rest of the class.