Students will be able to identify and create different basic shapes.
- Ask students, "Do you know anything about shapes?"
- Bring out the flash cards and show them the shape side of each card asking, "Do you know what shape this is?"
- While showing them each flash card, say "This is a ___."
- Have students repeat the word after you say it.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(5 minutes)
- Have students sit in a circle.
- Take out a piece of string.
- Close your eyes and pick a flash card.
- Show the students the flash card and ask, "What shape is this?"
- Make a different shape on the floor.
- For example, if you picked a square, make a circle on the floor.
- Ask, "Is this a square?" Ask students how to make the shape into a square.
- Do this two more times, always asking "What shape is this?" before making the shape.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(5 minutes)
- Hand out a piece of string to each student.
- Again, pick a flash card and ask "What shape is this?"
- Have students make the shape on the floor with their strings.
- Do this two more times, together as a group.
Independent Working Time(10 minutes)
- Put students into groups of two or three.
- Give each group a set of flash cards.
- Have one person pick a flash card and ask the others, "What shape is this?"
- The others should then make the shape with their strings.
- Have another student pick a card and ask, "What shape is this?" Do this until all shapes have been made.
- Enrichment: Have advanced students create more difficult shapes with their strings, e.g. a house, a shoe, o ra tree.
- Support: If students are having a difficult time making the shapes, allow them to have the flashcards on their desk for reference. They may need to put their string around the shape on the flashcard in order to grasp the concept.
- Observe students during instruction and Independent Working Time.
- Assist those having problems making shapes or remembering shape names.
- This will not add any time, as it takes place throughout the lesson.
Review and Closing(5 minutes)
- Have everyone sit on the floor and read the book "Are Eggs Square?"