Structure Building Challenge
Students will be able to build structures using common materials and explore ways to solve problems when building structures.
- Explain to the students that today they will learn about structures.
- Read Look at That Building: A First Look at Structures to the students, and then have the students say the names of some of the structures as you read about.
- Then ask the students if there are structures in the book that are similar to those in their neighborhood.
- Explain to the students that a good structure is one with balance, or an even distribution of weight that allows the building to stay upright and steady.
- Tell the students to stand up and show you what good balance looks like. Then tell them to lift a leg and ask them if they still have good balance.
- Discuss with the students how good structures need to have a strong base.