Need extra help for EL students? Try the How Many Floors Down? pre-lesson.
Students will be able to solve subtraction problems using numbers 0-10.
- Gather students together for the lesson and introduce the topic using the read-aloud text, Ten Red Apples by Pat Hutchins.
- As you read, emphasize the subtracting or removal of each apple from the tree.
- Conclude the read aloud by saying, "Today we are going to learn even more about subtracting or taking something away from something else!"
- Review numbers 1–10 using songs or chants.
- Practice counting from 1–10 using a number line.