Students will be able to complete and name shapes.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Gather your students into a group and watch the Shapes Song.
- Review the different shapes by drawing them on the board and writing their names underneath each.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (5 minutes)
- Show students your premade jigsaw pieces, and show them how they fit together to make complete shapes.
- Ask them questions to make sure that they understand how the shapes come together.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Have students practice putting the shapes together as a group.
- When they've had a chance to get familiar with the shapes, take all the pieces and mix them up. Pick out one half of a puzzle and have your students find the matching half.
- Do this a few times, asking students to name the shape after they complete it.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Pass out the bags of shapes to students.
- Have students put the shapes together individually.
- Provide assistance and encouragement where needed. Asking questions is a nice way of encouraging them to think as they work. Allow them to make mistakes and learn from them.
- Enrichment: Help advanced students strengthen their word recognition skills by writing the name of the shape on the shape and then cutting it into more than two pieces.
- Support: Trace out the shape on a different piece of paper and have the students put the pieces on the paper to complete the shape.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Ask questions as the students work on the puzzles.
- Observe as they try to put pieces together to make a shape.
- Watch to see if there are any students struggling to complete the activity.
- Talk to them about the shapes they are working on.
- Walk around the room when students are done to check all of the shapes each student made.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- When students are done, call them back together as a group.
- Review the names of the shapes with your class with flashcards, a video, or a book.
- Ask students if they have any questions about the lesson.