Students will be able to identify the strategies used in effective titles and how to correctly capitalize them.
- Have students approach the board and write the titles of the books they are reading. Note the capitalization rules for titles and headings beforehand, and review titles for correct capitalization. The worksheet A Mighty Title includes the rules for capitalizing titles as well as some practice.
- Facilitate a see-think-wonder protocol. Students first comment on what they observe about the titles. This could include length (number of words) and the style (humorous, mysterious, etc.).
- Students should then share thoughts about the titles on the list. What thoughts come to mind when looking at all of these titles?
- Last, students will share what questions they have about the list of titles.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Project the top chart on the worksheet A Mighty Title.
- Review the title crafting strategies authors use. Generate any additional strategies to add to the list.
- Revisit the list of titles on the board, discussing the strategies used in each one.
Guided Practice(10 minutes)
- Hold up a book with which the class is familiar. This can be a novel or a picture book.
- Revisit the characters and main events.
- Ask students: If they had to come up with an alternate title for this book using a different strategy, what would it be?
- Share ideas as a class.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Distribute the worksheet A Mighty Title.
- Go over the instructions as a class.
- Instruct students to complete the activity.
- Review and discuss students' answers. These may vary, as some of the strategies are subjective.
- Complete the final activity as a class.
- Have students create a Powerpoint or other digital presentation about strategies used to create titles. This presentation should include images of titles on book covers.
- Provide students with two book titles from your library that haven’t been discussed throughout the lesson.
- Instruct students to write a few sentences about the strategies employed in the creation of each title, and how those strategies entice the audience to read the book.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Discuss: Do other kinds of titles — like movies, poems, and comics — employ the same strategies? How are they similar or different?