The Night Before First Grade
Students will be able to reflect on their own feelings about moving to first grade.
- Talk to the students about getting ready to move to first grade.
- Tell them you are going to read them a book that will help them understand their feelings about going to first grade.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(10 minutes)
- Go through the pictures in The Night Before First Grade as a class.
- Read the story aloud.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(10 minutes)
- Have the students talk to you about some of the feelings have when they think about going to first grade.
- Write out some of their emotions on the board.
Independent Working Time(20 minutes)
- Distribute the sheets of paper.
- Give students time to think about some other feelings they are having about going to the next grade.
- Give them time to write about how they feel about going to the next grade. Tell students they can use words and pictures to explain their feelings.
- Enrichment: Have advanced students use only complete sentences to show their emotions—no pictures.
- Support: Allow struggling students to primarily use drawings for their assignment.
- Collect students' writing assignments once they're done. Review them later to assess understanding.
Review and Closing(15 minutes)
- Pick a few random students to share their writing with the class.